THE WINNER IS ANNOUNCED!
TEDxManhattan is pleased to announce that the winner of the 2015 TEDxManhattan Award is none other than Green Bronx Machine and Stephen Ritz!
Steve will be joining us at TEDxManhattan and giving a talk on his plans for the future – which are focused on School. Kids. Community. Food. Green Bronx Machine is dedicated to building out the National Health and Wellness Center at PS 55 within Claremont Village in the South Bronx.
This state-of-the-art facility was once a library four stories up in a 100+ year old public school building, and will soon feature an indoor teaching garden, indoor commercial farm, a teaching kitchen, and a technology and media center. This is the new headquarters of Green Bronx Machine, and is where they will launch their core programs from, including GBM’s curriculum integrating growing and eating healthy food with outstanding academic performance. They will also be sending home fresh vegetables with students every single week, as well as running weekly lunch-and-learn sessions with the principal. Green Bronx Machine believe healthy students are at the heart of healthy schools, and healthy schools are at the heart of healthy communities. They are determined to change the way children eat and learn in school – they call it plant-based education.
The center and the work Green Bronx Machine are doing there is a model for neighborhoods all over the country.
What Green Bronx Machine Needs
- First and foremost, they need funding to physically build out the National Health and Wellness Center, as well as pay for staff and other infrastructure to support the development and implementation of the core programs.
- Laptop computers and iPads
- Commercial kitchen and cooking supplies
- Website design, hosting, and maintenance
- Marketing and social media expertise and support
- Dedicated interns to help manage farm and program administration
- Dedicated grant writers and fundraising experts
- Auction items for fundraiser
Please sign up to offer your help and/or to receive more information about Steve’s work and all that he is doing.
As part of the Award, Steve and Green Bronx Machine will be introduced to the TEDxManhattan community, and you will be given the opportunity to support Steve and his work. If you want to help – or you want to receive more information about Green Bronx Machine, please fill out this form.
Help already offered includes:
- Change Food. Change Food has committed to helping Steve and Green Bronx Machine market and promote the great work they’re doing as well as to help develop creative projects that will further the mission of the organization.
- Barnraiser. Barnraiser has offered to help Green Bronx Machine build a fundraising campaign so Steve can raise desperately needed funds.
What will you do to help?…..
Read Green Bronx Machine’s application for the TEDxManhattan Award.
Read Steve’s update when he became an award finalist.
Want to watch Steve Ritz speak live on stage on Saturday, March 7th? Sign up to receive an email reminder so you don’t forget to tune in to the live webcast!
And if Steve hasn’t been busy enough, he’s one of the Top 10 finalists for the Global Teacher Prize and in Janaury 2015, was invited to Rome to meet with the Pope.